The house is a good example of Victorian architecture and was home to Mr. Gustav H. Bunge, the developer and original owner of the Tivoli Theater and Hotel.

The three-story Victorian house with a basement was the Bunge family home and was originally located at the northeast corner of Highland and Warren Avenues. According to the Downers Grove Reporter, the construction of the Tivoli Theater led to the house being relocated to 4943 Highland Avenue circa 1927. Based on city directories, the Bunge family lived at the 4943 Highland location for approximately a decade before moving back into the Tivoli building.
Mr. Bunge was the developer and original owner of the Tivoli Theater and Hotel.

Mr. Bunge also served two terms as a Village trustee, was the Village attorney for a number of years, was a founding member of the Downers Grove Sanitary District and served as the Sanitary District s attorney from its founding in 1921 through 1927. (Downers Grove Reporter, 1941)

The three-story Victorian house with a basement is constructed on a concrete and concrete block foundation. Original wood siding has been covered with vinyl siding. Many of the original windows have been replaced by modern windows. Asphalt shingles are affixed to the cross-gable roof.

The front (west) façade is a classic Victorian façade. A porch extends across the entire front façade and is detailed with dentils. The detailed front door is on the north side of the façade adjacent to the three-sided two-story bay. Transom windows on the first floor remain while transom windows on the second floor have been replaced. A small second story balcony is also located on the main façade. The triangular section at the top of the front gable is extended forward and is articulated with a Palladian style window. The front gable is adorned with shingle siding.
The south façade also includes a two-story bay. The windows on this façade are less detailed, although the primary window on the bay includes a dining room stained glass transom window portraying a meal with a pig, fruits and vegetables. The side gable is detailed with shingles curving into a recessed Palladian style window. Cornice brackets have been covered with modern siding.

The north façade includes a cantilevered wall extension where a window seat is located. The side gable is articulated as well, with shingles and a window row. An octagonal window provides additional detail at the top of the gable. The rear (east) façade is unadorned, but a turret does protrude from the rear roof line.
Many original interior features of the house remain. These features include original five-panel doors with transoms and elaborate door plates and knobs, intricately detailed staircase carvings, detailed floor radiators, detailed fireplace mantles and original wood flooring.